You may decide to sell a business for any number of reasons including retirement, moving to a new challenge or to balance your financial portfolio. And when the time is right for you to sell your business, our experts can help.
What does this service provide?
If you want to sell a business, here’s some of the support our specialists can offer:
- We can find the right buyer for your business by working through your sale objectives.
- We will ‘make it happen’. We will manage the complex end-to-end process of selling your business at the right value to the right buyer.
- We can manage your sale process be that a trade sale or a Management Buyout (MBO).
- We can give you comfort over the valuation of your business prior to entering the market so that you are confident in its worth.
- We can benchmark your business against your competitors and advise you on the factors that influence its value and help you highlight these to potential buyers.
- We will guide you through the multitude of other factors involved with selling a business including but not limited to; appointing other professionals, vendor or buyer due diligence, audit and accounting policies, tax compliance and tax mitigation and negotiating the commercial elements of the Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA).
Important things to consider
- The value of expert advice during this high value, high stress type of transaction is almost immeasurable. Knowing what is going to happen five moves ahead is critical to the success of the sale.
- This is not the time for you to “learn on the job” as the cost of making the wrong move at any stage of the process can be significant. A buyer has often bought many businesses, for a seller it is often their first time. Professional support is the only way to level the playing field.
- Many deals typically fall through where the business is presented in the wrong way to the buyers and obvious challenges are not addressed early enough.
- The process of selling a business is hugely distracting and time consuming for the business owner which can be damaging to the business. Even the best management teams need additional support during a sale process.
How much will the service cost?
Our fees are designed to ensure that we are totally aligned with your objectives. We have designed, over years of experience, a balance between commitment fees and success fees that makes sure that we are “in it together”. Our objective is for clients to always see value in our fees that significantly exceeds cost.
What should I do next?
If you would like Shaw & Co to help you sell your business, please contact one of our corporate finance experts shown on this page, or click the arrange a meeting button.
“We understand that the road to selling a business is often the most intensive period of your working life, but one in which you stand to make the most financial gain. Because of this pressure, owners and the business itself can get worn down by the process and deals often fail because of it. It can be a roller-coaster ride, so be prepared for lows as well as highs. Getting the right strategic and tactical advice is what makes successful deals happen.”Jim Shaw, Founder & Partner